can I chase my dreams and follow God?

Hey friends,
I know it has been a while since I have written a blog, but life has been a little crazy lately!

I went on a missions trip to Panama, which was insanely amazing, and after I returned home from Panama, I was on a plane again the next week. Schools about to get out (yayy!!) which means finals and projects. But that's ok! Because crazy is good and I am enjoying every moment:).

Since I am finishing my sophomore year in high school, golf (I compete in golf if you didn't know) has become a lot more intense with tournaments and planning my future. I was really struggling with balancing living for God and also chasing my dreams with golf. I almost felt like I had to choose one, but God showed me that my mindset was way off. I have learned that I can go after my dreams and live for God all at the same time, and without God, I'm not even going to reach my dreams and live my best life.

For me, golf is my thing. We all have different hobbies and passions, whether it is school, sports, arts, or whatever. I think I used to feel like I had to choose between chasing my dreams as a golfer or living for God because I let golf take the place of God. I shouldn't have to choose between my passion and my identity, unless I let golf become my identity. (I hope that makes sense). If I simplify it, I'm trying to say that a passion and God are not even in the same category, so there is no comparing the two of them. I don't know if you guys have felt this before, but it is something I have been figuring out lately. But anyway, your identity is in Jesus and only Jesus, so nothing will ever compare to that or compete with that. Jesus has already won you, and nothing can take that away. It can be easy to fall into the mindset of "if I do this then I am good enough"... or "if I have more of this than I am good enough," but Jesus has already said that you are enough, and there is nothing in all of creation that can change that. A verse i love is Jeremiah 31:3, which says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love." I love this verse because God has covered all time periods. I have loved you, which covers the past, and everlasting covers all of eternity. God shows us here that He has always loved you and He will never ever stop.

Going back to chasing your dreams and living for God, something that Jesus has been really showing me lately is that my dreams are only going to come true with God. I can't do it on my own, and I don't have to. We all have to work hard in order to accomplish things, but without Jesus, it is all gonna be in vain. God has blessed all of us with talents and passions, and He wants us to have the most amazing and joy filled life. His plans for our life are way better than our own plans for our life! And a way that we can experience God's goodness is by using our talents for Him. This is something I have really been learning lately. Jesus gave you and I different gifts, and we can go after our dreams while living for God by using the gifts He has given us in order to glorify Jesus.

A verse I love is Psalm 37:4 which says, "Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." I think it is easy to read this verse and think "oh cool, if I delight in the Lord then he will give me what i want." But I don't think that is completely the case. Once we start following God and pursuing Him, I think He sometimes changes our desires because He has changed our life. I have felt this for sure after I started following Jesus. and it is an amazing thing! Our desires become for God, and then it becomes simple to chase our dreams while living for Jesus.

anyway, this is what i have been learning and experiencing in the past few months, and it has been awesome to see how God works so fiercely in each and every life. I'll also attach some pics from Panama:).

xoxo,
jaycie <3


Comments