Identity

Hi girls and guys :)

today I am going to be talking about identity. I have come to realize in the past few months how truly important it is for us to know our identity. If you know who you are in Christ, your life will change in the most amazing way.

It is easy to place our identity in things on earth. I used to believe the lie that in order to be enough, I had to earn it. I placed my worth in grades, sports, people, the amount of followers I had, and so much more. The thing is, if we place our value in worldly stuff, we will always be left empty. The world can never ever fill us up the way Jesus can because we were made to live for Jesus.

A couple years ago, I used to place my value in my grades. At first, I would always want to get an A, then, when I started getting A's, I would want to have a 95% or higher, and so on. I was never satisfied because grades could never fill me the way Jesus could. On top of being left empty, I was also stressed and upset because I had put so much pressure on myself to be perfect- but i'm not. You and I are not perfect; and that's ok. It took me a while to accept that I am not always going to get perfect grades, always do perfect when I play golf, or always look perfect when I leave the house.

I have learned that I am an imperfect person chasing after the heart of a perfect God. 

But the beauty in all that is that God is also chasing after us, because He loves us more than we could ever comprehend or understand. God has shown me who I am in Him, and it has changed my life. Our identity should be placed in the fact that Jesus adores us and we are a Child of Him. You are not a number, you are not a grade, you are not a score, you are not a weight, you are not an object, you are not what the world tells you you are because you are so much more. You are priceless. 

Ephesians 2:10 tells us this, 
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

You were created for so much more than what the world has to offer. God has shown that He created you because He loves you and because He wants to use your life for amazing things.  And the most amazing thing that we can do is believe that God wants to use us, because He does and He will! 

I have learned that when I know who I am in Christ and I place my identity in Him, I will always have joy. Putting my identity in Christ also means putting my feelings in Him, so even on a rough day, I am able to smile because my joy doesn't come from things on earth. When I believe that my identity rests in the love of Jesus and not on my failures, I am able to genuinely love others because I don't have to compete with them or out-do them, I know that I am already enough- and so are they:). 

Jesus changes lives and He restores broken hearts, and 2 Corinthians 5:17 puts it this way,
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come"

When we choose to believe the truth that our identity is in Christ and not in the world, Jesus does something in our heart that only He can do, and we get to become a new creation in Him. We get to walk in a new freedom that only Christ can offer. We all place our value in something, but to be fully filled up, we ought to place it in God. <3

xoxo
Jaycie

Comments